Mamie's Meanderings

A medley of musings in a meandering manner.

Friday, December 01, 2006

Favourite Quotations

Do you have a favourite quotation, perhaps a motto that guides your life? I don't think I could pick one favourite as I have dozens that I like and that are very meaningful to me. In fact, I have the habit of writing my favourites in small books and I've been collecting them for years. Perusing one of my books I see that little adages from Ann Landers such as "when life hands you a lemon, make lemonade," appeal to me. More profoundly, certain Scripture verses are dear to me. This one from the Old Testament kind of says it all and provides a guide for living as a pilgrim on the journey: "And what does the Lord require of you but to do justice and to love kindness and to walk humbly with your God?" (Micah 6:8). Speaking of kindness there are other lovely quotations. The first sentence of the "Sam Te Ching," a Chinese children's classic says, "We are born into this world with a kind nature." And a lovely quotation from Dr. Theodore Rubin reminds me that "kindness is more important than wisdom and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom." Then there was the famous line by Blanche Du Bois in "A Streetcar Named Desire" - "I have always depended on the kindness of strangers." I've often thought that along the way we all must "depend on the kindness of strangers," from time to time. Great line, isn't it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home