Mamie's Meanderings

A medley of musings in a meandering manner.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Three Beautiful and Three Sad Things

I happened across a blog called Three Beautiful Things in which the blogger daily writes of three things - sometimes ordinary, sometimes quite extraordinary, that have made her pause and think of the beauty in the everyday. It's a lovely site and others are challenged to begin their daily lists. Well I don't think I will do this everyday, except perhaps mentally, but here are three beautiful and, just for balance, three sad things from my trip running errands this morning:

The three beautiful:
* the sales clerk's face at the shoe store as she bent down ever so solicitously to help the elderly woman
* a display of fluorescent pink, green and yellow footwear that brigtened my mall walk
* the woman whose arm I bumped accidently and who said "sorry" at the same moment as I

The three sad:
* the young man who stands behind his display of cell phone covers at the mall kiosk and stares at the counter all day
* the professional from whom I received a cheque - who spelled my name incorrectly
* the falling leaves of autumn

3 Comments:

  • At 12:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The images I see in your three beautiful things are very vivid to me. The falling leaves are sad only because winter is coming, but they in themselves have a beauty not seen elsewhere. Yellow poplar leaves raining down in a gust of wind on a sunny October day make me pause to watch.

     
  • At 11:49 AM, Blogger mamie said…

    So true, NW; After I wrote that I thought maybe I should have a third category "Beautiful but Sad." And also not everyone would even think the coming of winter was "sad" so it wasn't a very good one, was it? Although for myself I do find the fall season bittersweet.

     
  • At 7:41 PM, Blogger canary said…

    I too don't think of falling leaves as sad. I have just returned from three days away enjoying the fall colours and the falling leaves reminded me sometimes of strewn petals at a wedding, a joyful scattering of gold beneath one's feet, a tribute from the trees.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home