Mamie's Meanderings

A medley of musings in a meandering manner.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Ingonish Inspiration

Today my friends and I in our little sketching group decided to put some of our paintings up for sale at our local hospital art gallery. For the past several years we have been talking about art, working on paintings together, taking classes and going on sketching trips. We finally decided we were ready to try exhibiting some of our work

We're not professionals, but there are many other amateur painters who exhibit and sell. The nice thing about the venue where we put our work is that a good percentage will go to our local hospital if we sell.

Here's one of my paintings. It's 12 x 16 and done in acrylics, a medium I enjoy working in. I based it on a photo I took on a trip to Ingonish in Cape Breton. I call it "Ingonish Inspiration" as the cape in the background is in actuality somewhat different from that perspective. Yet, Cape Smoky is not too far from Ingonish, so I I have taken some artistic license to include it. In my painting I've tried to capture something of the sound of the ocean pounding against the rocks. The morning is cool, clear and crisp and I am finding the contrast of sold rock and gentle waves lapping in against warm sand mesmerizing. Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

  • At 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great Picture Marian - must go see it and the others, AC

     
  • At 6:43 PM, Blogger mamie said…

    Hey, AC, thanks for your comment and your support! Yes, do take a look at the gallery soon again.

     
  • At 2:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That sea water is almost splashing out of the painting. Very Good!

     
  • At 10:18 AM, Blogger mamie said…

    Thanks, nw! And it's fun to come on the computer in the morning and find there was a comment on my blog.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home