Mamie's Meanderings

A medley of musings in a meandering manner.

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Books On The Go: Two Wonderful Writers

I've got two books currently on the go: Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go and Ian McEwan's Saturday. The next read in my book discussion group is Saturday - I read it once over a year ago and I thought it was an excellent book then. My problem now is that I've forgotten the details of the book, so to do it justice, I should reread the whole book. But, I'm a fairly slow reader and I can't leave Ishiguro. I have never read a book as quietly suspenseful with just the right undercurrent of a touching (but quite horrific "brave new world" type) story of growing up different. A comment on the book cover says it is "a page-turner and a heartbreaker, a tour de force of knotted tension and buried anquish." I wish I had said that!

Both Ishiguro and McEwan are contemporary British writers whose books have won or been short-listed for numerous awards. Ishiguro won the Booker prize in 1989 for The Remains of the Day and this novel Never Let Me Go was short-listed in 2005. McEwan hasn't yet won the Booker prize, although I expect he will. Ishiguro was born in Nagasaki in 1954, moving with his family to London in 1960. McEwan was born in 1948. Both authors, interestingly, are English literature majors and I think they both appreciate good writing as well as a good story.

Well, back to the books!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home