Mamie's Meanderings

A medley of musings in a meandering manner.

Thursday, May 04, 2006

It's More Than A Game

There is magic in the air. The breeze is gentle and warm. The bright green of the fresh spring grass is set off by the brilliant yellow of the forsythia shrubs in full bloom. Greetings are called out, and excited talk and laughter fills the air as golf clubs are taken from cars or the club storage room. Groups of four women happily set out to find their tee-off hole. For the next two hours a game of golf will be played in a co-operative scramble format, but the real activity will be "catching up" on how the winter was spent or in getting to know someone new. It's the annual Ladies Opening with the usual ritual of a game, a dinner meeting, socializing and signing up for various matches.

Today was just such a day for me, and as I looked around at the gathering I was filled with gratitude. I thought: these women are a large part of my circle of friends and aquaintances; I am so blessed to be surrounded by love and laughter and caring; I am so fortunate to have found this special place.

Golf - it's more than the game that is important.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home