Mamie's Meanderings

A medley of musings in a meandering manner.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Making Connections

I think there is a great connection between the spirituality of an artist and the work the artist creates. If I could, that is, if I had the skill level to do so successfully, I would express many things of a spiritual nature in my own paintings. The intricate shapes in nature and the beauty of the natural world speaks to me of the dance, the wonder of it all, life. The changing seasons, the constant evolution-growth-decay of the natural world has parallels in our own lives. Art can speak of the the rhythm of life - success and failure, dying and rising, survival. The true, the beautiful, the harmonious, the serene, the loving and strong in life-enhancing ways - these are the themes that appeal to me in visual art.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is very interesting, Mamie! Just a couple of definitions of art: 1) the quality, production, expression, or realm of what is beautiful, or of more than ordinary significance and 2) the class of objects subject to aesthetic criteria, as paintings, sculptures, or drawings. The creative process, I believe, is a very spiritual one, engaging your feelings, sensations, articulating them in colour, form, line, light, shadow. It was said that the impressionists subjectified the objective, whereas the expressioists objectified the subjective; but isn't taste a subjective thing, in the final analysis? Recently, regarding my painting, an acquaintance said "It's a good escape for you." What?...Quite the contrary! It is when I am most real, most alive, and in the moment.

     
  • At 12:11 PM, Blogger mamie said…

    Instead of my self-deprecating "if i could" comment I should perhaps have said "I try to express spiritual values through my art-making as do all artists."

    Yes, I think the "a good escape" is an irritating comment, like as if by spending time painting one is running away from something!

     
  • At 5:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mamie, If you paint as well as you write, I would say you're quite the artist!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home