Mamie's Meanderings

A medley of musings in a meandering manner.

Sunday, April 23, 2006

The Tuesday Group

Spring came early to Nova Scotia this year. My golf course has been open since April 5th and there have been some lovely warm days, including today, Sunday, April 23. My "Tuesday Group" were out for 9 holes. It was a chance to renew our friendship, and continue pursuing our quest for an improved game. From now until the end of October every Tuesday will see our group on the golf course, weather permitting. There will be some weeks when one or another of the group will be away because of appointments or a trip with family or the course will be closed for a tournament. But betting "dollars to doughnuts" at least three of the group will show up!

Why take part in such a structured activity? The main reason is that the club we belong to is busy and tee times have to be made in advance. Having a compatible group of four and a regular commitment makes for a pleasant golfing routine.

Besides playing in "the Tuesday Group" I will also be out golfing two or three other times in a typical week, so I suppose the real question is why "golf"? What is so intriguing about this game? There is a t-shirt saying, "golf is life, all the rest is just details," and sometimes I think they got that right. When I'm on the golf course I feel alive, involved and connected to other people and the outdoors. I find the game a fine way of challenging myself physically and mentally. There is always a new twist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home