Mamie's Meanderings

A medley of musings in a meandering manner.

Friday, June 02, 2006

Two Trips - Inspiration for Painting?

I haven't written anything for a few days. I feel as if I'm neglecting my blog! In the past week I've been on a couple of trips - a long drive to my sister's home on New Brunswick's north shore and a day trip this past week to a very special area near where I live. Each trip, in its own way, was a rejuvenating change of scene.

First, the weekend: My sister and her husband treated us royally last weekend and it was great to spend some time reminiscing with family. The view across the Resticouche-Bay de Chaleur is magnificent and we were able to get a shore walk in. It's lobster season on the north shore and my brother-in-law laid out a lobster repast second to none. We browsed around the neighbouring town on Saturday and headed back home Sunday stopping for awhile to visit my brother in Miramichi. It was great - "a good time not a long time"!

My second excursion of the past week was with my sketching group. One of the members of our small group of 5 or 6 is working on a summer project for her master's thesis (biology) and she invited us to come sketch at the site she is exploring. The site is a large tract of land on the "South Mountain" above the town of Wolfville. Wolfville and the Nova Scotia Nature Trust are jointly sponsoring a preservation project of an old growth Acadian forest. We enjoyed our "walk in the woods" and it was especially interesting to have a knowledgeable guide with us, especially one who can say "listen, there's an ovenbird" or "that's a black throated green" (warbler). We also identified red and sugar maples, noted the differences between red and white spruce, and passed through stands of beech and yellow birch. But most amazing were the 400-plus year old Eastern hemlocks, truly magnificent trees standing on the slopes of a ravine with a bubbling mountain stream running through it. In the undergrowth we found a patch of lady's slippers in one spot. Lovely violets near some bright green moss-covered rocks underneath a little waterfall would surely make a wonderful painting! We even did a little sketching and found time for an excellent lunch together (being outside for a few hours does something to the appetite).

Now, if I'm not rejuvenated and inspired to start a painting I don't know when I will be!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home