Mamie's Meanderings

A medley of musings in a meandering manner.

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Happy Easter

It's Easter! Having spent some time inWestern Canada and learning something of Ukrainian traditions I find today that I want to say "Christ is Risen" and to hear someone say "He truly has Risen!" - in Ukrainian Khrystos Voskres! followed by the response Voistyno Voskres! There are such wonderful Ukrainian Easter traditions - the making of special bread and the decorating of eggs with intricate symbols, the blessing of food - a rich culture. In Western Canada descendants of Ukrainian settlers keep the traditions alive and add so much to a multicultural milieu. I feel I've been fortunate to have had my life enriched by meeting so many people of Ukrainian descent and from learning to appreciate their beautiful, moving and deeply religious practices.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    These traditions were renewed for me this morning as I accompanied my Mom to a Ukrainian Easter resurection service. A first in 30 years!

     
  • At 10:59 PM, Blogger mamie said…

    That is indeed very special!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home