Mamie's Meanderings

A medley of musings in a meandering manner.

Sunday, August 13, 2006

How Does Your Baby Grow?

Yesterday I had the privilege of attending a 1st Birthday party and it was delightful. My sister-in-law, one of the grandmothers, and I, a great-aunt, along with several other relatives and friends were invited to the special occasion. I'm not sure that the birthday girl herself knew what was going on but she sure enjoyed herself. Her guests were 6 or 7 other one or almost-one year olds and their parents plus a couple of older children. Everyone had a wonderful time watching the babies interacting - or should I say NOT interacting. I was interested in observing the characteristics of this developmental stage of growth.

The babies seemed to be at the stage of growth where they were pleased and happy to have others of their age nearby, but they were satisfied to look and observe one another, then proceed to engage in a solitary activity - exploring a toy, for example, or scuttling across the floor to search for something new. I noticed that most of us had brought gifts marked "12 months" - the toys seemed remarkably appropriate with buttons to push, noises to listen to, and soft things to cuddle. Apparently, this is an age for squeezing and hugging soft toys, and when a little rag doll was opened the birthday girl immediately hugged it, and curled up with it on the floor.

The occasion wasn't without its hilarious stories and moments. A birthday cheque received a few days prior to the party will have to be reissued as the birthday girl "ate" it. Luckily, the evidence was found in shreds and most of it accounted for. One of the guests was a very good natured but determined little "mover." He kept his mother chasing after him constantly. We all agreed his mom wouldn't be needing any additional exercise for a while. Gathered round the birthday cake placed on the coffee table, this same little guy kept us in stitches as he sampled the icing with his fingers.

My observations: too cute!! But what a lot of work raising a baby!

1 Comments:

  • At 4:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Mamie,

    It was a fun day to be sure. It's times like that that a part of me wishes I didn't have to be the photographer. The babies were a joy to watch but I did miss so much. I guess one makes up for it later while viewing all the cute photos.

    I was so happy the birthday girl was feeling better after the tough week she'd had. Do you suppose there are healing qualities in checks:):)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home