Mamie's Meanderings

A medley of musings in a meandering manner.

Thursday, June 08, 2006

The Power of Fiction

I find that reading a novel takes me a long time. This is because of connotation - evocative words and phrases that resonate deeply or descriptive writing that brings to mind my own experiences or memories. For example, a reference to a childhood game may set me to thinking about playing that game myself; a description of a lake in a misty early morning may evoke a memory of a fishing-camping trip.

I just read such a line in the book I am reading: in The Kite Runner the main character Amir says "the first time I saw the Pacific Ocean I almost cried." The Pacific to Amir was as vast and blue as he had seen it in movies watched as a child in dusty Afghanistan. I immediately began thinking: the first time I saw the Rocky Mountains I almost cried and likewise, the first time I saw the prairie I almost cried and the first time I stood on a glacier I almost cried.

I think it is a common emotional reaction for many people. We are stunned by the vastness - in awe at the size, distance, height, depth, breadth or flatness of the scene before us. We can never be truly prepared for the beauty by photos or movies or written descriptions. Or, perhaps, we are misled by other who look at the ocean and see only water or look at the mountains and see only rocks! Before I saw the prairies I was told I would see "miles and miles of nothing but nothing" and before I saw the mountains I was told that some people found mountains "forbidding" and that they gave them a sense of being closed in.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mamie, I will have to read The Kite Runner.

    I love to roam through your "meanderings," it really makes me stop and think. I grew up near the ocean but never stopped being amazed at it's majestic power.

    I remember being told the same thing about the prairies when I was a kid..the miles and miles of nothing. But my first impression on seeing them was "How awesome! So much space." And I love the mountains but there's an old joke along the lines of someone moving out West and saying it was nice but the mountains ruined the scenery!

    Isn't it wonderful that we are able to see the beauty in all that God created!

     
  • At 3:03 PM, Blogger mamie said…

    Nana,
    Thank you for leaving a comment. I'm really pleased that my "meanderings" strike a kindred chord!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home