Mamie's Meanderings

A medley of musings in a meandering manner.

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Games People Play

It's almost April, spring in Nova Scotia! I just heard on the news that the Pubnico golf course has opened in the far southwestern corner of the province. Sometime in April my golf course will open again and I'll be back at my summer routine of a golf game at least three times a week. I can't wait! All winter I have been bowling in two seniors' leagues. All year I play competitive duplicate bridge. Just musing: do these three activities have anything in common? What's the attraction? Most people would agree that there is a social component - being with others and having fun and a ton of laughs is certainly part of it. There is definitely a competitive aspect: in league bowling points are awarded for games won and for individual achievements; in bridge, masterpoints are awarded to the top finishers; in golf, there are various competitions and special events. In playing any game there is always a thrill in winning and it is rather satisfying to gain that spot on the leader board, pick up a prize or get a name on a trophy once in awhile. But I think, for me, the real attraction is in the challenge - playing a hand well, lowering my handicap, trying to make the perfect shot. My attitude when I don't do well is usually "I can't wait till the next time to try again."

I think it's important to keep active physically so my golf and bowling are important to me for that reason. Bridge provides a good balance. One of the directors of my local bridge club calls bridge "aerobics for the mind," and a couple of hours of competitive play does require quick thinking and the application of logic, a whole lot of psychology, and, of course, the maintaining of a good relationship with a partner.

It's a well known fact that sometimes one can get obsessed with winning which doesn't strike me as particularly healthy. I hope I can maintain an interest in my games for the sheer joy of playing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home