Mamie's Meanderings

A medley of musings in a meandering manner.

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Two Books - One Theme

Now that I've started my blog I guess I'm going to have to write. For the past couple of years I have been keeping somewhat of a reflective journal. Hopefully if will be my goldmine for furthier musings. Thumbing through it I noticed something I had written about Ian McEwan's book Saturday that is startingly similar to the theme of one of the books I'm now reading. Joan Didion begins her book The Year of Magical Thinking with the words: "Life changes fast. Life changes in the instant." After I read Saturday a few months ago, I wrote "the book is about how life can change in an instant, how in an ordinary day the unpredictable happens to change everything - the accident while day-dreamedly driving along, a fatal heart attack in a restaurant, the chance encounter, - the twists and turns life takes." The difference in the two books, of course is that McEwan's is fiction and Didion's non-fiction.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:37 PM, Blogger canary said…

    Wright's book Adultery has a bit of that idea in it too. How one decision or random event can lead to a cascade of other (negative) events. Life often changes in an instant - but when the changes are positive or neutral we don't notice.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home