Mamie's Meanderings

A medley of musings in a meandering manner.

Sunday, January 04, 2009

Something to think about; who is the narrator?

Wow, I can't believe I'm on here again! I have been thinking about the book I just finished: David Adams Richards The Lost Highway. As you read the book, you are intrigued as to the identity of the narrator for there are occasional hints such as "our little church" or "Amy my love" or an occasional "I", but in the end, the book does not reveal anything. And yet, we come away with the distinct impression of a real person with strong opinions and beliefs who is telling this story. Here are a few of the opinions of this narrator: He (presumably "he") has problems with the moral relativism of the secular world-view so prevalent today where "approval" and "disapproval" are the criteria for "right" and "wrong," ("call yourself independent but only do and say what your friends do and say") rather than absolutes as set out by the authority of the Church. He (the narrator/ Richards?) does not dismiss the Church and it's apologists so easily, and makes some wonderfully sarcastic comments as, for example about Alex: "he mocked G.K. Chesterton and C.S. Lewis and applauded Dan Brown." Another line made me laugh out loud: "his whole life was as positive as a terribly right-thinking member of the New Democratic Party." You get the impression that he (the narrator/Richards?) sees that as leaving something to be desired. The narrator has little use for those with "a little knowledge," who don't think deeply, who dismiss the past easily, who "blow in the wind."
Richards' books always leave me thinking!

1 Comments:

  • At 7:35 PM, Blogger canary said…

    I had to laugh at the comment about the "right thinking NDPer" we all know that the "right thinking" NDP person is "left" not "right" at all so it has a double layer of humour.

    Haven't read the book. Wish I had time!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home